Grand County Uncensored Headline Animator

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Grand County Being Duped By Special Interests

UPDATE: School Finance 101 If you can find a reason why this analysis is wrong, please let me know. Otherwise, I see a real can of worms opening up here...

This one's a doozy folks... Check out this recent headline in the Denver Post:

Grand County Parents Raising $500,000 to save schools

This story puts a laser focus on how the media is being used by local interests to manipulate opinion with little more than poor reporting and a bit of word smithing.

I've put in a request with reporter Mitchell Byars to see if he did indeed use only the three sources quoted in his story. If so, this is just another example of the drive-by type of reporting we get from lazy journalists every day.

Let's start with the lead-in for his story:

"Parents in Grand County are engaged in what amounts to a high-stakes bake sale — a race to raise $500,000 to save two elementary schools from closure."(DP)



Anyone who's been reading the Sky Hi News knows that statement is patently false. What we have is a business group, whose mouthpiece appears to be Ron Nelson, essentially strong-arming the towns into financial pledges aimed at keeping the two schools open.


I'm assuming Mr. Nelson is probably the person who put the call in to the Denver Post in the first place. Not only is he the spokesperson for the 'community group,' but he gets to pick and choose the statements put out by the paper.


As a parent of two children at Fraser Valley, I don't recall electing Mr. Nelson to speak on my behalf on school matters. Check out the following wording from the article:


"In just a month, the group already is nearing its goal with help from not-for-profits and fundraising, and gaining confidence each day."(DP)


Nowhere does the article mention that Mr. Nelson is chairman of the board of the non-profit the article refers to. All it says is that he is a member of the group and a former teacher. Did Mr, Byars ever bother to ask what other titles Mr. Nelson held? Who are the other members of the group?


The end of the article gives us the true goal of the 'community group.'


"One proposed plan would be a countywide sales tax that would go toward funding schools in Grand County (which also includes West Grand School District). A similar half-cent sales tax was approved in Steamboat Springs in 1993, and Nelson said the community group would help with getting the tax passed in Grand County."(DP)


And there it is... The ONLY solution these guys are focused on is a tax increase. They have no fiscal plan. The beauty of this little nugget is that I was at the meeting in Granby with all of the mayors and commissioners, and I got to hear the words out of Ron's own mouth.


He pointed out to the group that a tax increase would not be an easy sell, and they'd have to hire a professional outside firm to massage the voters into a vote. They're first going to poll you to figure out where your weaknesses are, then they're going to manipulate you into thinking a tax increase is a good thing. Don't fall for it. You're being played by a very few people who do NOT have your best interests,  or those of our students, at heart. 


Next time you see Ron, tell him Reggie says hello.

4 comments:

  1. Reggie I am trying to understand your motivation in slamming people for trying to save schools from being closed? Is it your desire for the schools to close and force your children into substandard education? Are you so bent on not paying taxes that you want yours and others children to suffer for it?
    The state is about to gut school funding. Were the else do you propose the money come from? There is no way grand county non-profits are going to come up with this kind of cash with small time "bake sale" like fund raising. If a 0.5 cent sales tax increase will save these schools from closing I am all for it. Just so long as there is a guarantee it will always go to the schools and not to increase funding for things like marijuana law enforcement.
    I also wonder way you choose to cast Mr. Nelson as some sort of villain because he chairs a non-profit and is a former teacher?
    Fighting to keep schools open seems a worthy enough cause for me. Perhaps he should be elected to speak for grand county students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, our schools receive less than 3 percent of their funding from the state.

    I'm exposing the truth. That will be offensive to some.

    A sales tax increase would give us the highest sales tax in the state, but our schools aren't the best. So...rry, but money is not now and will never be the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't need $10.8 million to run a school back in the 80's, why would we need it now? How long are you going to tax citizens, until we pay a 50 percent sales tax? How much will the American people tolerate without requiring the schools and government to make serious changes to their fiscal policies? What I hear you saying is - sure I will pay more in a sales tax so the Superintendent can keep her $120,000 year salary, and principals can make over $100,000/year. The American people are already feeling squeezed - we in the private sector continue to take pay cuts because of the dismal economy, yet we say squeeze us more so the unions and public officials can continue to maintain the status quo of over paid salaries and outrageous spending. I am sorry if you feel the kids are suffering, but haven't they been suffering already due to the ridiculous spending occurring at all levels in the government? It is our children that will suffer for our sins in the future. If we continue on this path of mass destruction we will leave them with nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This isn't directed at Jesse, but around his comment of 'fiscal responsibility.' In my opinion, and the way I think about what has happened to America over the last decade (perhaps beyond that), is this...'I make $30,000/year and live within a budget that the $30,000 allows. Then all of a sudden, based on some really good profit years, my salary increases to $100,000/year. I can do what I believe is fiscally responsible and continue to live within a $30,000 budget. I can put the additional $70,000 into a savings account to hedge against an unexpected event. Or I can increase my spending and expenses to line up with my $100,000 income and take out an additional $100,000 loan to enjoy the 'good life.' Now I make $100,000/year, live within my means, and have $100,000 in debt. Well, as we all know life has a way of throwing us some unexpected curve balls. Five years later, my salary decreases to $50,000/year, my house burns down, someone steals my car, and I've acquired a few medical bills. Hmmm....now what do I do? I have no savings because I chose to live beyond my means when life was good. Heck, I'll do what the government does and beg, borrow and steal from my friends and family in hopes they will give me the funds to rebuild my house, buy a new car, and pay medical bills. Heck - they won't mind, afterall they are all leveraged too! Wait...did I mention that I will still continue to live off as though I am making $100,000/year? Had I been responsible and lived off my once $30,000 budget, I could have $350,000 in the bank and have the funds to rebuild my house, buy a new car, and pay the medical bills myself.'

    Don't get me wrong, we live in America because we all want to live the American Dream. If we make good money, we want to enjoy its perks. And yes, inflation has played a part and we do need to account for some budgetary increases, but not billions - I mean trillions of dollars. I just can't agree to another tax increase to help my friends who refuse to act fiscally responsible themselves. I already pay thousands to the government every year in the form of income tax and sales tax. Enough is enough.

    Bottom line...Americans have the RIGHT to liberty, justice and the pursuit of happiness; it is NOT an ENTITLEMENT (the sharing in fruits of others' labor).

    ReplyDelete

Say anything you want. Please don't cuss. If you post anonymously, please post your county of residence. Make sure you have Javascript enabled on your browser's preferences.